What causes a pea sized lump on the testicle?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My 23 year old son has a smaller than pea size hard lump in his testacle. What could it be? Should he make an appointment with a general practitioner or a urologist?
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
urologist should be consulted...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will be answering at your questions.

It would be great if you could give more information about this lump. For how long does he have it. If the lump is in the skin or underneath the skin.

Anyway, i will cover all the possible situations.

If the lump is in the skin, probably it is a sebaceous cyst. These cysts are benign and can cause pain only if they get infected.

In the case the lump is under the skin,than there are a few possibilities like epididymal cyst, hydrocele, lipoma etc.

In all these situations, I suggest that your son consult an urologist for the proper diagnose and treatment. He might recommend to do an ultrasound of the testicles and other blood tests, depending from the diagnosis. Urologists work with these kind of conditions all the time and are more familiar. So it is the best choice for the diagnose and the treatment.

Most of the lumps are benign,so you do not need to be worried.

For any other question, feel free to ask me.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee