question-icon

What causes a pea sized lump on the ankle?

Posted on Sat, 2 Jul 2016
Question: I have a pea sized hard spot on the imside of ankle about a finger tip measurement away from my ankle bone. After being on my feet over 12 hours it becomes bothersome. Any idea what it might be?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
As explained. Please post photos,

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/38 - a pea sized hard spot on the inside of ankle- about a finger tip measurement away from ankle bone - after being on feet over 12 hours it becomes bothersome - Any idea what it might be?

The commonest possible causes as per the area and the spot are:
- Sebaceous cyst.
- dilated vein with organized clot or so as it is getting bothersome after 12 hours of standing.
- Rarely a ganglion
- old organized hematoma or so.
Actually this is the area where occurrence of any lumps is very rare.
Hence I would advise you to go for a tests of ultrasonography with color doppler mode along with clinical evaluation by a General Surgeon to get the exact diagnosis to get a proper management.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Please post the clear photos if possible as it helps in some cases to have on-the-spot diagnosis.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon