• question-icon

What causes a pea sized knot on the abdomen?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: My wife has a small knot about pea size on her right side. If you imagin a line from her belly button around to the right side and just above the waist line. You can only feel if you push in about 1/2 inch. It is painful if touched. She is known to have cysts on her overies but I would thing that would be more to the front. No other symptoms
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
some investigations need to be done to determine the nature of the lump

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will be answering your questions.

The knot/lump that you describe might be a lipoma (fat accumulation), sebaceous cyst or another type of cyst. There is nothing to be worried because in most of the cases these formations are benign.

Further tests need to be done to determine the nature of the knot. In this way, we will be able to find the proper treatment.

Your wife needs to do an ultrasound. It will help a lot for the diagnosis.

-FNA (fine needle aspiration biopsy) if at all needed. The biopsy is performed only if we are unable to determine the nature of the lump.

Depending on the results of the ultrasound your wife might need to consult a surgeon or a dermatologist.

There are two options after we have a diagnose.
1-observe the lump each 6 months to 1 year with ultrasound (in the case of lipoma) or
2-remove it through surgery (sebaceous cyst)

After the ultrasound, we will be able to tell more what is the best option here.

Wish you all the best.

If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Endri Katro 31 minutes later
So based on this information you would not be overly concern about anything ominous. As with us all any lumps or bumps get your mind racing. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, I would not be concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back.

With the symptoms that you described, I will not be concerned at all.

She just needs to do the ultrasound in the first place for the diagnosis, treatment, if at all required will be done accordingly, and probably everything will be fine.

Please keep me updated also on her progress in the due course of time.

Regards.

Dr.Endri Katro

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon