question-icon

What causes a pea sized bump on the breast post breast augmentation surgery?

Posted on Mon, 23 Jan 2017
Question: I had breast augmentation a year ago, and about a month ago, I noticed a hard pea-sized bump in my left breast, just above my nipple (but deeper in my breast). It came about so quickly, and it was (and still is) very painful. When I touch the bump it is super painful. It feels like a cyst under my skin. I breastfed for 6.5 years, and when I apply hot compresses, I can express milk from that breast. Could this knot be related to a plugged duct? I have been reading about capsular contracture and am wondering if that's what it could be or maybe another scar tissue issue? I have a mammogram scheduled for next week.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It could be Fibrocystic disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As per your description, it could be Fibrocystic disease.It doesn't look like Capsular contracture.
Ultrasound of the breast will give a clue and abscess will be ruled out.
Please consult your doctor and get an Ultrasound of the breast before Mammography.
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query.If you come back after investigations, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon