What causes a painful spot at the base of the skull?
Occipital neuralgia, tension headache and arthritis.
Hello and thanks for using HCM.
I have read your query and understand your concerns.
Conditions that may cause similar symptoms with yours include tension-type headaches, arthritis of upper cervical spine and occipital neuralgia ( or compression of upper cervical nerves that supply back of the head ).
There is need to be evaluated further by your primary care Doctor about these conditions and by tests such cervical x-rays and blood tests about inflammation levels.
Since motrin doesn't offer prolonged relief, other medications such tramadol for example and physical therapy should be considered.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if you can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes skull deterioration
- What causes pain at base of penis during erection
- What causes severe pain in the base of skull
- What causes pain in the base of the skull in children
- What causes dull intense pain in the base of skull
- What causes indentations in the skull
- What causes skull dents
- What causes ripples in skull
- Skull base osteomyelitis causes
- What causes sharp pain in left side of skull