What causes a painful red lesion on thigh?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, I had a dark red painful spot on the inside of my thigh (high up near the crease) appear overnight a couple of weeks ago. I squeezed it and found a green/yellow pus come out ( not a lot) I have squeezed it once since and nothing came out. There is no longer a 'head' to the 'lump'. Since then the pain has gone but it's still there and it's hard about the size of a pea or slightly bigger. What is it and what can I do?
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you had a painful lesion which has left behind a lump.

From your history and description, I would consider the possibility of a boil/ furuncle.

This is an infection of the hair follicle and is common in the thighs and groins where there is increased sweating.

If untreated, once the active infection subsides, the hard swelling may be there for a few weeks.

You could apply a cream containing 2 % Mupirocin twice a day for about 10 days to hasten its resolution.

You could also give some hot compresses.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko