What causes a painful lump on the side of the tongue?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I have had a painful left now since Monday. Now I have a lump in the left side of my tongue. My lower left jaw was swollen and red round the teeth and I have a loose bridge there. Help?

The pain was in my left ear, then throat, and I found the lump on my tongue as I was trying to eat my lunch. It would appear that I cannot get the app to work.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to decayed/fractured tooth under the bridge..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query, I can understand your concern..

Well, swollen lower jaw with loose bridge and having pain in ear and throat can be due to any decayed or fractured tooth under the bridge.

It can very well cause radiating pain from tooth site to ear and throat. ..

Lump on the tongue can be due to inflammation, swollen taste buds or due to traumatic injury...

So my suggestion is to consult a Dentist for a thorough check-up of that area and get evaluated..

An X-ray of the area of bridge should be done at first to rule out the cause of swelling and pain..

In case, if there is any decayed tooth then the tooth has to be treated first along with antibiotics and painkillers.

For lump on tongue you should apply numbing gel containing Lignocaine over it.
Do cool compresses or suck ice pops..
Avoid spicy and hard foods..

Hope this information helps..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee