What causes a painful lump in upper abdomen below the ribcage?

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I have a softball sized bulge at the upper right quadrant of my abdomen just below my ribcage. I have sharp stinging pains at that area and I feel better after I go for a bowel movement. I can hear gastric fluid moving there.
I do have diverticulitis but is not bothering me on my left side. I have been event free with this for many years. What I have here is about 6 months old but getting worse. my doctor hasn't said anything about it.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It looks like a subcutaneous swelling.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting in health care magic.
As per your image, it looks like a swelling just beneath the skin.
It could be a Lipoma (fat deposit) , Sebaceous cyst etc.
A simple investigation like Ultrasound abdomen will give a clue.
If it is subcutaneous, then go for FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) test which confirms the diagnosis.
Get it removed by General surgeon if it is a subcutaneous swelling.
If the swelling is arising from the abdomen as per Ultrasound, you should for CT scan to confirm the diagnosis.
Please consult your doctor and get investigated.
If you have any queries, I will clarify further.
Nothing to worry.
Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1995

Answered : 2534 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

179 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction