What causes a painful bump on the scalp?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I'm 51 years old. female. I have a bump on my head that really hurts. when I pushed on it pus came out. now it is bleeding .
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query. albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/51 - bump on head - hurts - pus on pushing - now bleeding...
Your history is suggestive of an abscess or an infected sebaceous cyst that has opened up due to pressure applied as it might have developed the pointing head caused by devitalized tissues.
Sine the scalp- skin of head is highly vascularized, it bleeds more than other parts of body in response to any trauma.
I would advise you the following:
Apply liquid povidone iodine to the whole area and put on sterile dressing material, try to squeeze more to remove the remaining pus if present and then apply pressure with fresh sterile pad for 10 minutes. The bleeding usually stops.
Consult your Doctor or ER to have clinical evaluation, dressing and to decide whether the abscess needs formal incision drainage or simply daily dressing, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medication.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
With Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy