What Causes A Pain In The Chest Area?
Likely to be due to GERD
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastroesophageal reflux and your hiatal hernia definitely predisposes you to it. The presentation of pain in the center of chest is typical of reflux and since your heart factor has been ruled out there seems to be no other cause for concern. Although you are free to visit the ER, I doubt if that is required. I understand that the pain in the armpit is bothering you but since a heart cause has already been ruled out I do not think that you need to worry. Rather, in order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.
Hopefully that should help.
Let me know if I could help further.