What causes a odd smelling vaginal discharge?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 in Women's Health
Question: hai, i would like to know, do i needto take medicine? i have a fishy order vaginal discharge 8 weeks post partum.it is normal?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not normal. Suggests infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Strong vaginal odor (Fishy smell) with discharge is MOSTLY suggestive of Bacterial Vaginosis. It can be seen during post partun period also. One swab test or wet mount preparation is helpful to confirm the diagnosis. You should maintain genital hygiene properly and avoid sexual contact until problem is completely resolved.

2) Treatment: a) Metronidazole or Clindamycin either orally or vaginally are highly effective to treat this type condition. If you are sexually active, then your partner also needs one course of antibiotic. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist or healthcare provider for complete prescription.

b) Use VAGISIL Odor Block Protection Wash or pH Balance wash - twice daily. Drink more water with added salt- sugar to stay hydrated. Bathing at least twice daily and maintenance of genital hygiene are mandatory. Avoid sugary products and take vitamin & anti-oxidant supplement.

c) Prebiotics and probiotics (containing Lactobacillus) are also effective to maintain NORMAL vaginal flora and prevent recurrent infection.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
thank you very much.

i am fully breastfeed.

is it ok with that oral medication (metronidazole)?
or do i also need to take other antibiotic (erythromycin)?

what Prebiotics and probiotics that you suggest?

so, i have to avoid sugary products and reduce caffein (nescafe) intake
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Both are needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You will need erythromycin also along with metronidazole. Both are safe during lactation.
Regarding probiotics you can take fresh yogurt or any over the counter lactobacillus preparation. Do get the vaginal swab test done to start with the antibiotic best suitable for your infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.