What causes a mild burning sensation in throat?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 8 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello. For a few seconds after I drink a glass of wine, I feel a mild searing sensation in my throat,
as if I had just eaten a Hall's Mentholyptus. I am in otherwise excellent health.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you do not mind me asking a few questions to better understand

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. If you do not mind me asking:

+Have you had this particular wine that has been causing the burning sensation in your throat before? If yes, then has the same symptom occurred when you previously had the same wine?
+Is this a new bottle/brand?
+Does the same symptom appear with any other alcoholic beverage or any other wine?
+How do you find relief from the searing sensation?
+Does the searing occur with any food items?
+Do you also feel a swollen throat with symptoms like difficulty to swallow, difficulty to breathe, or feel a sensation of a lump in the throat?
+Although you mentioned to be in excellent health, I would still like to ask if you have any chronic conditions like acid reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), etc.?

I look forward to hearing from you in order to help you further ma'am.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Hello, Dr. XXXXXXX

Yes, I have had this particular wine before and it usually happens. I don't usually drink other wines. This is a dry Italian white. The sensation usually goes away after a few seconds. I don't have GERD issues. (I had a wellness endoscopy/colonoscopy a few years ago and they didn't find anything.) No searing from food items or other throat issues.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could quite possibly be irritation from contents of this particular wine

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Thank you so much for that information.

In that case, the cause could very well be an allergic reaction to some contents of the dry Italian wine. But just to confirm this, I would like you to experiment trying small amounts of a different wine. If you do not experience the same symptom, then the dry Italian wine is most certainly the cause for your symptom.

And the choice is left up to in the end, if you can tolerate the symptom then you can continue having the wine, but if you cannot then you may have to discontinue that specific wine.

I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. There is nothing serious worth worrying about so if at all you were worried, you shouldn't be. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

I just wanted to thank you for answering my questions for me. I did try a different wine last night and it didn't happen at all! So I think you put your finger right on it.

By the way, I don't own a computer - I must access the ones at our public library - so excuse me for not temporarily closing the conversation yesterday.

I will close the discussion now, but thank you also for providing a wonderful service to the world. You will get a great rating.

Sincerely,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It was my pleasure entirely ma'am, you seem like a lovely person

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Thank you so much for the kind words, you made my day.

Best wishes.