What causes a metallic taste and pain in mouth?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband and I have recently moved in an apartment complex in the city from a home in the suburbs. we ar both experiencing odd oral symptoms, his is a metallic feeling in his mouth, mine the same but with pain in a chipped tooth(already been to dentist, having tooth pulled with implant). I didn't think they were related until I went out-of-town for 7 days-had NO oral symptoms, came back and the symptoms with extreme pain came back with a vengeance with-in the same day. I don't think it's a coincidence and feel as if there must be something in our apartment causing this. Water? what could it possibly be and how do I figure this out
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Listed all possible causes, with emphasis on most likely one

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There are only a handful causes that can produce a metallic taste or feeling in the mouth, and I shall go ahead and list them for your reference:

+Pregnancy (which can be ruled out easily)
+Infections: Should have presented with other symptoms as well, and should not have subsided just when you traveled elsewhere
+Cancer treatment: Which both of you clearly are not, thankfully
+Medications: Multivitamins, some antibiotics (e.g. tetracycline), gout medication, psychiatric medication, etc.
+Poor oral hygiene: I am sure the dentist would have picked that up, if it were the case
+Chemical exposure: Inhalation of large amounts of mercury and/or lead can cause this metallic taste or feeling the mouth. I do believe this could quite possibly be the cause for your presentation ma'am. I would recommend 2 things:

1. Request some one to come stay over for a few days, and check to see if they experience the same symptoms

2. Speak to your handyman and request him to go about a most detailed evaluation of your place, to find the source

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan