What causes a lupus on the face?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yes, my 30-year-old son told by Dermatologist that the rash on his face is lupus, but not SLE. Improves when he doesn't drink beer and when he shields his face from prolonged sun exposure (he is a surfer)
He doesn't remember name of topical med he was given by MD recently. What is lupus which only appears (now) on the skin? What other symptoms should we be aware of that could lead to compromise of major organs?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No involvement of internal organs in this type of lupus.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the rash on your son's face.

After analyzing the complete query I can make out that your son has been diagnosed with the problem of lupus.

This type of lupus which is localised on face is basically known Discoid Lupus Erythematosus or DLE.

To tell you simply about this condition - it is a localised form of lupus which occurs basically on sun exposed areas. The one good part of the condition is that it is localised and not systemic. It never involves the internal organs or any internal system. So you should not be worried any involvement of internal organs and related symptoms.

It is basically aggravated by sun light or by stress and alcohol. So it is of utmost importance to avoid direct sun light and rest of aggravating factors of stress and alcohol.

His treating doctor is right in the guidance of avoidance of beer for the same. The doctor has prescribed proper medications and follow these judiciously.

I again reassure you about no involvement of any systemic or internal organs in this condition.

I hope this allays your concern for your son's condition.

With good health wishes,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD - DERMATOLOGY