What causes a lump under the eyelid?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: HELLO ITS BEEN THREE MONTHS NOW, I FIRST NOTICE SORENESS IN MY LEFT EYELID WITH PAIN. AFTER WEEKS OF SWOLLEN AND PAIN FROM THE EYE, IT WENT AWAY. THEN COMES A SMALL LUMP UNDER MY EYELID FOR A WHILE NOW. THERE'S NO REDNESS, ITS HASN'T GOTTEN BIGGER, I CAN FEEL IT AND SEE IT.

Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be chalazion.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
The symptoms you have mentioned suggestive of a clinical condition called “chalazion”. Chalazion is a cyst in the eyelid due to a blocked oil gland.
Some chalazia can go away without treatment. You can try home remedies like warm compresses. Topical ointments like tobramycin can be tried.
If symptoms persist, you have to remove the swelling surgically. Chalazion surgery is a simple procedure that is generally performed as a day operation. No hospital admission is required.
It’s not always possible to avoid getting a chalazion. This is especially true if you’re prone to this type of eye problem. But there are a few things that you can do to prevent this condition:
Always wash your hands before touching your eyes.
Make sure that anything that comes in contact with your eyes, such as contact lenses and glasses, is clean.
Wishing you good health
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana