What causes a lump on the lower abdomen while having UTI?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: I had what I thought were symptoms for a serious UTI; however, one day I noticed a small obvious lump had appeared in my lower left abdomen close to my hip bone. It hurt. I took generic Aleve. That helped the pain but the lump kept growing...lemon size...and now well past the size of my open palm. Sort of a small to medium sized eggplant size. The size changes have slown down but the pain has increased to a TEN! Now I'm completely confused about what this thing is. The entire time I have also noticed a pain the crease of my groin in the area but I was completely focused on the lump and pretty much ignored that smaller problem. Yesterday I was in screaming pain from that & have tried hard to see what it looks like. It hurts like a 20 when I move and I discovered skin appears to have a serious (non-itchy) fungal infection. Nothing seems related. I need a medical mind for this. By the way I am close to 78 years.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information and post clear photographs if possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for you query and an elucidate history.
Read the history carefully and understood your concerns.
Please give some additional information:
- Since when is the lump present?
- Does it increase or give impulse to the palpating fingers on coughing and straining?
- Did it reduce on laying down or on manipulation in laying down position?
- Is it fixed or mobile?
- Is it single or a conglomeration of many- giving a bosselated appearance?
- Is is soft, firm or hard?
- Any other information that you would like to share?
- Any investigations/ medication?

I would advise you to go to ER/ General Surgeon for clinical evaluation, examination, high resolution ultrasonography and FNAC - fine needle aspiration cytology and further tests as may be required.

I can understand the difficulty in getting photos os such area- please post clear and focused photos ONLY if possible as they help sometimes for on-the-spot diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
RE: Please give some additional information:
- Since when is the lump present?
I'm not sure as I did not take notes and tried to contact my GP and then several. I had no luck; however, I believe I first noticed it approxl 1 month ago.

I don't know. It is far too painful for me overall. Sneezing, coughing, straining to get up & down are EXTREMELY painful.

I don't know.

- Is it fixed or mobile?
It remains always in the same place.

- Is is soft, firm or hard?
I think it has remained soft to firm. (sorry)
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rush to ER ASAP.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
I hope by this time you should have reached the ER for clinical evaluation, examination and investigations to know what the problem is.
Please rush to ER.

Please give feedback.