• question-icon

What causes a lump on the back of the head after injury?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: i fell last week and hit my head on the pavement i had a huge lump on the back of my head but went to bed and since then the bump has reduced a bit but not much have no pain and no other symptoms also after washing hair a little blood not much how long for it to go down ?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take a few more weeks for resorption

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
As per the history you have provided, this looks to be a hematoma of the scalp with an abrasion or so which caused little blood after washing hair.
Usually the time taken for the hematoma of scalp to settle on its own is one to three weeks.
Since this happened last week and the bump has reduced a bit without any symptoms, it may regress sooner, say within a few weeks.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
What is the size of the bump?
Is there any fluctuation on palpation or is firm to hard?

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 13 minutes later
the bump is about 3inches wide and hard when i touch it it feels a bit numb
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is large one

Detailed Answer:
3 inches is a large one.
I would advise you to consult your Doctor or a General Surgeon for clinical evaluation, examination, ultrasound to see the consistency and aspiration with tight bandage if he feels necessary.
This may help early resolution and avoidance of any complications like infection or organization.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 12 hours later
hi i think i got it wrong about size is more like the length of my little finger maybe 3cms
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep under observation.

Detailed Answer:
If this is a small one you may please keep it under observation and consult a Doctor if there is any pain, if not reducing or any other symptom.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon