What causes a lump on sacrum?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, My son informed us of a lump on his sacrum (Left Side)about the size of a dime. It is hard to the touch and not movable. It does not cause him pain and has not grown in size, Had it since September of 2014. We saw our doctor and after the examination she believed it was not serious but ordered a ultrasound. The ultrasound was inconclusive and could not determine what it was. We now have to do an MRI. My question is why couldn't the ultrasound find what it was and is their cause for concern? My son is very active in sports and the gym for weightlifting. I am very scared and worried. Please help. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ultrasound is not specific

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
This is a frightening problem, but most likely this is a benign bony lesion. The ultrasound is not as good at diagnosing abnormalities in bone as the MRI and that is why they want to get the MRI done.
Of course the concern is bone cancer but what you have described does not sound like cancer, it sounds like one of the many forms of benign bone lesions that can occur in any person. Benign lesions tend to form and then not grow. Cancers tend to grow aggressively in bone. The fact that it is not enlarging is a very good sign.
I hope the MRI can reassure you that this is a benign lesion (no cancer).
Let me know if you have further questions,
Dr. Robinson

Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 52 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for responding back to me. I really appreciate it. My son also had a complete Blood work up and the doctor stated he was in normal limits. Is that a good sign as well? We are now just waiting for authorization for the MRI which will probably be a few days. God willing everything will be okay. Thank you again and God Bless. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, normal blood counts are a good sign

Detailed Answer:
Yes since blood cells are made in the bone marrow, there are often blood cell abnormalities in bone cancers. All indicators are that this is a benign condition. I will keep you in my prayers.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson