What causes a lump in the right groin area that disappeared after a few minutes?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Lump
Question: I was standing at the kitchen sink. I felt a lump the size of a lemon in my right groin area. The lump was hard when I touched it . My left side groin was soft with no swelling. After about 5 minutes the lump went away and my groin area appears the same on both sides.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
an inguinal hernia most probably

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

This indicates inguinal or groin hernia which is a common issue in males of your age and it becomes visible during activities or after long standing. If it pulled back completely and there was is no nausea, vomit or abdominal pain then there is no need for urgent management.

However, it should be surgically managed later if this happens again since a hernia may grow and cause serious symptoms in some cases.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee