What causes a lump in the neck while on thyroid medication?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 19 Jan 2018 in Lump
Question: Late yesterday, I developed a large lump on my neck and it's a bit sore. I do take thyroid meds and have for many years. I do not seem to have a fever and do have a doctor appointment on Monday. Any light you can shed on this strange condition would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome. This is pretty unusual to see such sudden swelling and I don't think this is related to thyroid. If there is associated pain and redness then this is most probably an abscess or ateroma. Otherwise, this is more likely to be swollen lymph node. rare, vascular issues may be present and if there is pulsating bump felt them you should see doctor as soon as possible. if not,you can see in next few days will it improve and then do ultrasound of neck area. Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T