What causes a lump in the breast?

Posted on Wed, 15 Feb 2017 in Lump
Question: Hi,

I am concerned as I found a very tiny a mooth lump on my breast about a month ago. I saw a nurse practitioner and she was unconcerned, she gave me antibs (which made no difference) and told me to come back in three weeks. I saw a doctor three weeks later who said she thought my lump was part of normal breast tissue, she told me to just come back if there were any changes. There is also some very slight discolouration (or maybe a bruise) over the lump. That was two weeks ago, the lump has not changed however I have since experienced some arm aching and weakness on the right arm (the lump is in my right breast). The aching is not especially painful but is an odd feeling and covers the whole of the arm though mostly the upper arm. I have also had some heaviness in my breasts and my breasts are more tenderthough this comes and goes. Is it likely that this could be connected? I came off the contraceptive pill about 5 months ago. I have made an app with my dr but it is not for another two weeks. I am aged 29 and have no health problems.

Thanks

Many thanks for this reply it is very reassuring. Do you think it is necessary for me to see ny gp for my appointment in a fortnight or would I be wasting my time?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to fibroadenosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that breast cancer is not common at your age. Rather, there is a far common entity called fibroadenosis that is found in females of your age. Fibroadenosis is characterized by small lumps in the breast and their development is often seen in females taking pills. Breast cancer, on the contrary, comprises of rapidly growing tumor. So, unless the tiny smooth lump starts rapidly growing in size, you need not grow concerned. Nothing needs to be done about it. You can wait for your doctor's appointment that is at a fornight's interval.

I do not think that your right arm pain is related to this. Stay relaxed.

Brief Answer:
Not needed.

Detailed Answer:
I think that you can wait for your scheduled appointment. Unless the lump is rapidly increasing in size it would perhaps be meaningless to go for an evaluation from your GP.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha