What causes a lump in the armpit?

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My daughter has just given birth. She is not breast feeding and is having trouble pumping her milk on one side. She has developed a large hard nodule on that same side under her arm. Could this be related to her not getting rid of her milk? Could it be something like a clogged milk duct. She is worried about breast cancer, but nodule is quite obvious and not in the breast area.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blocked milk duct.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting a query to HCM.
Need not worry about Breast cancer.

The lump your daughter is complaining of is dew to the blockage of milk in the duct. Usually for most of the women the breast tissue is extended till axilla ie. under arms. Once she starts feeding baby properly on that side the blockage will be released.

You can suggest her to take hot water fomentation or hot shower for breast.
Massage the breast with olive or coconut oil to release the block.
Feeding should be continued in spite of painful lump, as this is the only way to release the blockage.

For sure it is not a Breast cancer.

Any query do follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng