• question-icon

What causes a lump at the back of the right ear?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Lump
Question: My wife discovered a hard lump on the back of her right ear. It is tender to the touch. She has had congestion the last several days. Is this a possible swollen lymph node?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a lymph node or a sebaceous cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate about your wife:Female/59 - hard lump on the back of right ear - tender to touch - congestion last several days - Wants to know whether swollen LN...

If this is in the crease behind the ear, the chances are that it is most probably an infected sebaceous cyst.
If it is a behind the ear and on the mastoid bone, least or not XXXXXXX it is most probably a lymph node.
You may please post a clear picture is possible as it helps for on-the-spot diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 9 hours later
Dr T, my wife is out of town today, so I can't take a picture, but I am pretty certain the lump is on the mastoid bone. If it is a Lymph node, what could be the cause and how is it treated?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection is the cause and the medicines as discussed on prescription

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
If the lump is on the mastoid, it is most probably a lymph node and the cause is obviously an infection in the drainage area, can be in the ear canal.
A course of an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory medicine can help the resolution.Needs a prescription from a local Doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon