• question-icon

What causes a lump above the prominentia laryngea and painful swallowing?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I'm a 47 yr old female smoker . For about two weeks I've felt a lump above my XXXXXXX apple which seems to be getting bigger .. I don't have a cough or sore throat and haven't had a cold or flu..it feels uncomfortable to swallow but not painful .. What could this be ?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is where the thyroid gland sits!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this lump you have reported. The short duration makes it unlikely to be a real disease at this time. We will need more longterm monitoring to understand what is going on. However, this is where the thyroid sit and we should watch out for signs of any possible thyroid disease such as rapid or slow heart rate , constipation/diarrhea, excessive sweating/feeling excessively hot, etc. If this persists, I will like to have a screening test for thyroid disorders which is mainly TSH.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ivo Ditah