• question-icon

What causes a lump above the left collarbone?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: I just noticed a swollen area on my left side above the clavicle and the base of my neck area. About two weeks ago I noticed a lump (bump) on the inside of my left arm right above where my arm bends. I am 61 and healthy as far as I know
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be infective pathology with lymph node enlargement.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and photos.
Noted the history, seen the photos and understood your concerns.
With the information and photos you have provided, this may be an inflammatory mass like an abscess on the arm which has travelled to the lymph nodes in the supraclavicular area.
This may be present with least possible symptoms or can have pain and tenderness.

I would advise you the following:
High resolution ultrasonography give a proper diagnosis and FNAC that is fine needle aspiration cytology is required confirms the diagnosis and gives plan for proper management.
Earlier the diagnosis, better is the treatment and prognosis.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon