• question-icon

What causes a knot on the stomach postpartum?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: i have a knot above my bellow it does not hurt or swollen. i just had a baby four months ago i had one with my first child and it went away.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

My best guess, without being able to see and palpate the knot, is that it is a lipoma. These are benign lumps of fatty cells surrounded by a thin capsule, and they do not change to cancer. They usually are not a problem.

There seems to be some relationship between development of lipomas around pregnancy but this is not well researched, although it is not uncommonly reported.

But since I can't see and feel it, I do recommend you see your doctor. It isn't urgent, but should be checked to make sure it is nothing else. Your doctor might want to get an ultrasound of the lump/knot if he or she is not sure of what it is.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh