What causes a high heart rate during the night?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had a high heart rate all night. 135-156
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should immediately consult the nearest ER service

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

You need to go to the ER service for a careful physical examination and a resting ECG to confirm atrial fibrillation with uncontrolled high ventricular rate (which may be responsible for this heart rate you have been experiencing during the night).

If such disorder is confirmed, a prompt therapy should be applied to control your heart beating rate.

In addition, I would recommend performing a cardiac ultrasound to investigate whether you prosthetic mitral valve has a preserved functionality (exclude valve thrombosis, dehiscence, etc). In such case a prompt cardio surgical consultation is advisable.

Some blood tests like: thyroid function tests (hormone levels), renal function tests, blood electrolytes, etc. are necessary to rule in/out underlying disorders, potentially responsible for such a clinical condition.

Hope to have to have been helpful!

Best wishes,
Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 minutes later
Should I go back to taking Digoxin?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This decision will be made after your test results

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

As I told before, you need to go to the ER and perform some tests.

It would like to explain, that before taking into consideration further therapy changes (including the use or not of digoxin), the cardiac function, renal function etc. should be evaluated by your doctor .

The most important thing to do now is go to the ER.

You will discuss with your doctor, based on your test results, for your future therapy.

Hope to have been helpful!

I am at your disposal for any other questions, whenever you need!

Best regard,
Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 minutes later
Does nitroglycerin lower it? She has no chest pains, shortness of breath,etc. just palpitations
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would not recommend nitroglycerin for this purpose

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Nitroglycerin is usually prescribed in acute coronary syndrome and its main function is vasodilatation leading to an increase in blood supply blood supply.

It is not an antiarrhythmic drug.

I would not recommend it in this case.

The therapy should be given in the ER after a careful physical examination and the ECG.

Best wishes,
Dr.Iliri