question-icon

What causes a hard lump under the jawline?

Posted on Wed, 24 Jul 2019
Question: I've noticed a hard ball under my jawline for around a week on the right side. it's around 5mm is size and is a ball or oval shaped. It is lined up just to the right of the corner of my lip, and feels as though as quarter is on my face, quarter on my jawline and a quarter just under my jaw. Can you help identify what this could be? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Possible lymph node or a salivary gland swelling

Detailed Answer:

As per your symptoms, the possibility of a lymph node or a salivary gland swelling is very high.

This usually indicates a form of an infection and may an initial trial of antibiotic therapy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Suresh Heijebu, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu (54 minutes later)
Hi, I took 500mg of flucloxacillin for some infected eczema, which almost treated the infection but it persisted. Ive also been perscribed some more of the same medication. Could this infection be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Infection is the primary cause

Detailed Answer:

Yes, this swelling is possibly related to Infection. An extended course of antibiotics will help in resolution of Infection and swelling.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Suresh Heijebu