question-icon

What causes a hard lump on the shaft of the penis?

Posted on Sat, 7 May 2016
Question: have discovered a very hard lump about the size of a half a grape in the shaft of my penis laying down. almost feels like attached to the pubic bone. then when i stand up it is gone! and stays gone for hours or days and then i will wake up and there it is again??? what the heck???
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
possible hernia or cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question?
Whenever we hear about a lump that comes and goes we think of a hernia. The area that you describe is not the most common place for a hernia but hernias can occur almost anywhere. The other possibility is a cyst that is filling with fluid and then emptying. Another possibility is a lymph node but that is less likely since they do not usually come and go like that.
In order to get an exact diagnosis you would need to see a doctor and have it examined when it is obvious.
There is nothing to do in the meantime but I do urge you to see a doctor and get this examined.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson (44 minutes later)
thank you for the answer...it is a HARD nodule I would think soft and squishy if hernia, plus it sits right on the pubic bone and inside penis, when it goes away , anatomically seems like it has to go under or over and behind the pubic bone as it does not go up the shaft or in the scrotum? i did not think to mention i have had a left sided hernia mesh (could that be bunched up, come loose and moving around based on muscles pulling/) can a cyst that is empty and filling do so in just minutes or hours.... i also have a long history of a dozen or more lypomas... and as you say if it is not PRESENT when i go for exam no one could find it? what about just getting an MRI-- that would not show a hernia if it was retracted either would it??? but again, how can a hernia feel as hard as a tough cyst... almost bone hard???
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (5 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
you are right

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the follow up.
You are right that a hernia would not feel bone hard. Cysts could feel hard but would not fill up and drain in hours, more like days. Also lipomas are usually soft. Hard nodule sound more like lymph node though some possible problem with the mesh is also possible if it is in that area. Yes an MRI or possibly even US would show it up most likely. The encouraging news is that lymph nodes in the groin are common in adults even up to 2cm (about grape size) and not really a concern. If it is not causing you pain or discomfort then just talk to your doctor about whether or not they think imaging of some sort is necessary.
Best to you
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson (9 minutes later)
It is just so weird that something that large can disapear so completely at that area of anatomy and how weird to have a lymph node that central to be on top of the pubic bone... am a chiropractor and have a good knowledge base, just not my area of expertise--I will also say that my particular lipomas are very hard like a cyst..thank you very much for your help!
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
It is interesting that this comes and goes. If your lipomas are hard then it could be a lipoma. Since you are a chiropractor then you can easily discuss this with your doctor about whether or not this needs to be pursued with US or MRI.
I wish you the best.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson (4 days later)
new info......MRI.....At night I will feel a very hard lump at base of penis a bit on top of pubic bone backward toward anus, appears to be about the outline of the bulbous part of the corpus spongiosum/cavernosum but the rest of the penis is flaccid, it goes away when I stand up and move around... I can get a typical erection but not like I used to and goes down faster if not stimulated (been mildly progressive over a few years).. no pain... any ideas what that type of hardness is...some kind of blockage letting blood in but not all the way up?? ... i don't seem to wake with erections very often age 61-- have had MRI no mass of any kind-- thought might be hernia coming and going...but talked at length to radiologist and read my MRI with him and he is stumped as no hernia and no mass... almost has to be some type of filling draining issue...do you have a urologist you could consult with if need be... am trying to avoid getting on the twenty trips to the specialists for no reason merry go round :-) .
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
you really need to be seen by urologist

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry but I do not have a urologist that I can consult. You could try asking for a specialty consult on HealthcareMagic. I believe they have urologists, but I really think that this can only be sorted out in person.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson