What causes a hard lump at the bottom of the sternum?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a hard lump at the bottom of my sternum in the middle it is more noticeable when i breathe in. Im 33yrs old. Should i go see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is probably an Epigastric hernia.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care magic and Thanks for your question.
It sounds like an Epigastric hernia.

Does it increase in size when you cough and disappears when you lie down ?
Is it in the Center of the upper abdomen ?

If yes, then it is possibly an Epigastric hernia.

Nothing to worry about, they are fairly common and probably due to decreased strength of your abdominal muscles or increased intra-abdominal pressure.

If there is no pain then you could leave it alone.

It would definitely be better to see a Surgeon who could examine you and give a formal diagnosis. The treatment would be Surgical repair of the defect in the fascia of the abdominal wall.

Take care and do let me know if there are any queries related to this.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 50 minutes later
This is the location of the lump. It is a little tender. I had my second child 6mths ago. i can still feel it when laying down. It is not visible unless i breathe in but can be feel it all the time.
Answered by Dr. Rishi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is the Xiphisternum or end of the sternum.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
The picture shows the Xiphisternum. Or in other terms the lower end of the sternum which juts out. In some people it juts out more and in some a little less. I don't feel this is anything to worry about. But you could get yourself checked up by a Surgeon to be sure.
Do not worry at all.
Take care,
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D