What causes a geographic tongue?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: thank you I have had geographic tongue for over 9 months and even though dentist and doctors say harmless it burns and is very aggravating. All blood test are good so have any suggestions on how to get rid of this for once and good or is like a psoriasis type thing just need to learn to live with? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need for treatment

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your health query.

I read carefully your query and I understand your concern.

Geografic tongue is a local loss of filiform papillae which lead to ulcer-like lesions that appear as red patches on the dorsal tongue with round borders. Lesions can change location, pattern, and size within minutes to hours, and patients may have numerous exacerbations and remissions over time. Exacerbations are usually asymptomatic, although some patients complain of oral discomfort, burning, or foreign body sensations, which in your case, as I understand it, it's good because you don't have symptoms.

Since you don't have symptoms, I know it doesn't look pretty, but no treatment is needed. It is not like psoriasis, because psoriasis is a problem that causes many problems in the body, but yes, you need to learn to live with it, and it may stay like that all the time, or it can clear by itself.

Symptomatic treatments that have been reported but which are unproven include fluids, acetaminophen, mouth rinsing with a topical anesthetic agent, antihistamines, anxiolytics, tacrolimus, or corticosteroids. But this apply only if you have symptoms.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Otherwise please close and rate the answer.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T