What causes a foul vaginal smell with fibroids in the uterus?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My mother is having fibroid in uterus. please have a look at attached reports and suggest.
please note, her menstruation cycle has stopped. There is no pain in the area but a problem of foul smell was indicated by her till one year ago but as of now, no such complaint is there.

Also, please suggest the list of any new tests/ scans which we should take now, considering her history.

Also guide the medicines for decreasing size/ cure of her fibroids.

Please find attachment for reports

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Chances of cervical cancer are present.

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the attached reports. Your mother has multiple small fibroids in the uterus largest one of these is around 6 cm.

All these are benign swellings and after menopause does not cause any problem. Even if she does not take any treatment for these fibroids, these are not going to cause any harm.

But her colposcopy shows an inflamed cervix and HPV 16 is positive.

This is suggestive of high chances of cervical cancer in the near future which needs a surgical removal of cervix and uterus.

There are no medicines that can decrease fibroid or decrease the chances of cervical cancer. Surgical removal is the best option for her.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad