What causes a fluid pocket in the heart. Is it serious?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What causes a fluid pocket on the heart. Serious or not?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Hi ,

By the findings you are presnting appears to be pericardial effusion.periicardial effusion ("fluid around the heart") is an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the pericardial cavity. Because of the limited amount of space in the pericardial cavity, fluid accumulation will lead to an increased intrapericardial pressure and this can negatively affect heart function. When there is a pericardial effusion with enough pressure to adversely affect heart function, this is called cardiac tamponade. Pericardial effusion usually results from a disturbed equilibrium between the production and re-absorption of pericardial fluid, or from a structural abnormality that allows fluid to enter the pericardial cavity.

Therefore, please see a physician as early as you can. If the medical terminology used by your physician is something other than pericafdial effusion.

Kindly let me know so that i can help uou better. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T