• question-icon

What causes a fluid build-up behind the left knee and pain while bending?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Ihave some fluid behind the left knee with pain in bending knee some swelling down to upper calf some bone protusion
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Baker's cyst?

Detailed Answer:

it sounds like Baker's cyst (popliteal cyst). This is a rather common condition which emerges as a result of various kinds of arthritis or knee injury or wear (like a torn meniscus for example). There are various approaches to such a cyst, including drainage, pain control and various conservative measures like rest, ice, elevation, etc.

The first thing to do is to get a diagnosis. You should visit your doctor for clinical examination. If your doctor is not certain about the diagnosis, an ultrasound scan can be ordered.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis