What causes a few skin tags on the neck in a 31 year old man?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I m 31 year old male, I m getting 6 to 7 skin tags on my neck (Below chin area), What should i do? is there any medicine or skin cream so that i can stop them, What if they increases more? please tell me any medicine to treat them
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 11 hours later
I have attached picture, I m having like this on neck, please tell me some medicine or creams so that i can stop them
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out thyroid disorders and insulin resistance,

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have reviewed the attached photograph and can see many skin tags.
They are seen in normal persons but they are increasingly found in persons with insulin resistance and hypothyroidism.
I would recommend you to rule out these by going for thyroid function tests and serum insulin levels.
If they are found to be abnormal then you need to take treatment for these as this will lower the frequency of occurence of skin tags.
Otherwise there are no other topical or oral medications that will decrease their number or remove them.
You will have to consult a dermatologist and get them removed by radiofreqency ablation or excision.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
This is not my picture, i give you for reference, can i apply tea tree oil on them

I have only 6 to 7 tags on neck (beard place), which tea tree oil should i use?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tea tree doesn't doesn't have a role in the removal of skin tags

Detailed Answer:
Tea tree oil doesn't have much role in the removal of skin tags.
If you want to try using it you can go ahead as it won't have any side effects either.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar