What causes a feeling of wearing loose hosiery on the feet?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: I feel as tho I'm wearing loose hosiery on my feet. I,m not. also had hip replacement surgery In octobrer

cannot do pdfformat
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy due to nutritional deficiency possibly.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. It appears to be peripheral neuropathy, as there is distal and symmetric sensory abnormalities. At present, it is only sensory giving a glove like or sock like sensation. If it continues weakness of muscles will be also seen.
2. It is not related to hip replacement surgery.
3. It could be due to medications adverse effects, alcoholic neuropathy or nutritional deficiency. Nutritional deficiency is more common at this age, due to reduce intake and reduced absorption
4. Abstinence from alcohol (if taking) along with nutritional supplements (Vit B12, Vit B6 and alpha lipoic acid) should help.

Hope you have no diabetes and thyroid hormone profile is good.

If any medication list is there, I can look into it and let you know if there are any adverse effects.

Improvement with nutritional supplements will take upto 1-2 months. As, there is mild neural damage, recovery will take time. It is still early stages and recovery is possible. Until recovery and sensation is felt normally, avoid walking bare foot. Use comfortable shoes or slippers, even inside house. Avoid injuries.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina