• question-icon

What causes a feeling of throat blockage while eating followed by vomiting?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Last night while eating my throat felt it seized up. Food felt it was backing up. I quit eating but symptoms continued. Salava formed and I did a lot of spitting and later threw up several times. Since last night have been unable to eat. Have had a barium swallow earlier and a hiatal hernia was found but no obstruction. Several years ago I had a procedure to enlarge my throat. I feel this procedure should b repeated. I am at present on the following meds omeprazole dr 40mg, benazepril-hctz 12.5 mg. amlodipine besylate 10 mg, meloxicam 7.5 mg, simvastatin 20 mg. Any suggestions for immediate and future help would be appriciated.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get endoscopy and dilatation of narrowing

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for putting your query in hcm

Your description of symptoms anidin background of dilatation of some narrowing in throat which you described as enlargement of throat suggest that there is some narrowing in your throat or upper part of oesophagus, it may be cervical web or some stricture leading to difficultybin swallowing.

For this I will suggest you to get an endoscopy examinarion and if required dilatation of the narrowing.

There is no other medicine or shortcut treatment for this apart from dilatation of the narrowing.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist