• question-icon

What causes a feeling of something stuck in throat?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Last Friday I was eating some french fries, I swallowed the fries but I didn't chew it well. I had this feeling of the fry being stuck in my throat. Today is Tuesday and it still feels that something is in my throat. I have been told I have GERD/Acid Reflux and GAD(generalized anxiety disorder.) My anxiety is usually treatable with Nexium or tums. It seems that in between my breast there is a pain. I have been afraid to eat. After eating I can still feel my food in my throat. It hard to describe the area but it feel like it's at the back of my tongue like something back there. I feel it also when I try to breath in and take a deep breath. I have been seen by my primary dr who seems to think reflux and I've made an appointment to go see a GI Dr. on Monday. Could something be stuck in my throat perhaps the fry? I've been reading about blockage, and tumors and cancer and I'm freaked out. The sensation is worse at sometimes that others. I went to the ER tonight and he said it was really red back there and gave me some antibiotics and a GI cocktail that is providing very little relief as it still feels like something is there on the right side. I'm a 25 year old female by the way. Could reflux cause these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry about blockage,tumors or cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

I have read your query and understand the concern.

This something stuck feeling in your throat could be either due to throat irritation or esophagus inflammation because of that fried food into your food pipe during eating.

It may not get stuck into the esophagus (food pipe), rather it must have gone inside stomach giving behind just a feeling of something stuck in throat.

Also,as you have a acid reflux problem (GERD) then I would say yes,it may also cause further throat irritation or inflammation in food pipe for which you can continue with antibiotics and other GI drugs as prescribed while your visit to ER.

Generalized anxiety may also exaggerate these symptoms.

So,there is NO need to be worried about blockage,tumors or cancer.

Generally,this type of feeling (of something stuck) could be temporary and may get subsided with symptomatic medications.

It is likely to be due to nervous stimulation which may last up to 2 to 3 days or maximum 7 days,so there isn't anything to be worried much here.

Finally,I would suggest you to continue same treatment (antibiotics,antacids and anti-anxiety drug) and wait for another 2 to 3 days for these symptoms to resolve.

You can also take symptomatic treatment like anti-emetics (like ondasetron 8 mg if there is nausea) or antihistamines (levocetrizine 10 mg) which are available over the counter.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 16 hours later
Thank you so much Dr. The sensation has eased a little but there is still sometimes when I can feel it. I had cough today, which was mucus that looked bloody. I start thinking there could bean infection in my throat or sinus. I'm not sure. It's just when I swallow that feeling that something is there. Thanks you
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
cough is likely due to throat infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, cough is likely due to throat infection which could occur due to irritation/ inflammation of the throat due to acid reflux from stomach in your case.

The refluxed acid sometimes enters into the respiratory tract and may cause throat inflammation with coughing and feeling heaviness in throat.

This kind of symptoms may get resolved with some appropriate over the counter medications with strict dietary precautions.

So,I will suggest you to continue below mentioned drugs with some precautions and this combined effect will helpful to you.

1) Take proton pump inhibitors (pantoprazole 40 mg) in combination with prokinetic drugs (levosulpride 75 mg) rather than antacid alone.

The combination actually increases stomach emptying time along with effect on gasteoesophageal sphincter.

2) Also take over the counter antihistamines like levocetrizine 10 mg twice daily for symptomatic relief in coughing.

Apart from medications, you will also need to follow dietary precautions.

1) Avoid oily,spicy and high fiber diet.

2) Avoid eating with full stomach,instead eat small frequent meals.

3) Avoid taking rest for at least 2 hours after meal.

4) Walk slowly up to first 2 hrs of meal but don't walk fast.

5) Make regular eating pattern.

6) Have your dinner before 8 pm so that at the time of sleeping your stomach will be empty.

Feeling of something stuck may take up to 7 days to get resolved as I said earlier.

Thanks and regards,

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sandip Kabra