What causes a fat bulge in left leg of an infant?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi my son who is 1.5 month old is having fat bulge in left leg where as right leg does not have it. is that normal. pics attached.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cellulitis, injection induced swelling

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to this forum.
Can understand your concern.

I have seen the picture that you have attached. There is obvious swelling in the leg.

This swelling in leg could be due to cellulitis due to injection of vaccination. If there is tenderness or Pain on touching, Then you should consult a doctor, And get the child examined.

It is seen sometimes, that cellulitis can occur after Giving injection. However, If no injection is given, Then there are chances of Infection at skin region. Sense, The child is very small, The child should be examined by a pediatrician, Because it is necessary That we should not miss any important finding.

I hope this will help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 6 hours later
my concern is around fat roll crease. where left leg has fat roll crease right leg does not have it. No injection is given in last one month. Angle in image may suggest swelling but apparently there is no swelling when we see both legs physically.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be normal but examination is necessary

Detailed Answer:

If no injection has been given than chances of cellulitis are less.
By looking at the picture, there is definitely some difference.
It might be possible that it is due to old injury or it's a normal finding.
An examination by Pediatrician is a must so that we may not miss any important finding.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak