What causes a false positive result for THC while on Protonix?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi i was recently tested for a random drug test at my job like i always do and it came up positive for THC!! I dont smoke at ALL and haven't for years since High School but anway i do take Protonix for my acid reflex regularly. Now i did my research online on that drug to see if that might have caused a false positive and low and behold it does! Ive checked multiple sites and they said it does!! I wanted to know, confirm if that was true?!?! Please Help
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Protein can definitely cause false positive for THC.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

You are right - Protonix can definitely cause a false positive on a urine drug test for THC. It is written in the data.

Please see 7.5 in the FDA literature on Protonix here:
http://www.YYYY.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/020987s045lbl.pdf

I hope this information helps you out.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 23 minutes later
Thank You Dr. XXXXXXX Berger-Durnbaugh

I have a great Job and i'm scared they will fire me because of this!!
Is there anyway i can fight this?!?!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some thoughts:

Detailed Answer:
I would print out the FDA data, and also ask the pharmacy you get your Protonix filled at to print out that you have purchased/currently using Protonix. Take these in to the department at work that is doing the review of your test (is it Human Resources?).

I'm a Corporate flight attendant and everything is done by email. I just sent over enough info so hopefully they can review my case. I gave them Pics of my prescription and Documentation and the article you provided. Thank you Dr, i really hopes this helps. To be 100% honest if i lose my job i'm going to commit suicide because i can not bear the disappointment from my parents and rest of family and friends. If you only knew what i been through to get this High paying job. Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Berger-Durnbaugh
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No job is worth your life!

Detailed Answer:
If your work does not accept the documentation you provided, then you can pursue legal action. People fail work drug tests all the time from false positives due to prescription meds so it is likely that they will accept the information you sent. But if they don't, talk with their legal department, and get a lawyer yourself.

But no job is worth ending your life over.

If you are feeling already considerable distress over this, it would be good for you to talk with a counselor, and if you feel it is urgent, then go to the ER please.