What causes a false positive result for Morphine while on Tramadol?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Pain Management
Question: this is complicated. I have taken these meds I described earlier, except for the Tramadol since 1997, which as you know were not as closely monitored. Now I have to go in every month, count pills, and pee. My problem is that there are many times that I take an extra pill during the night and can come up short. Once I had to cancel an appointment and they told me that I couldn't do that again. Well, I am 54, and not XXXXXXX enough except to do small tasks. I live in a retirement community , a nice one, but Medicare will not pay to get me to and from my appointments. I have no family close by. I can tell you right now that there have been many times I go in with an empty bottle, AND on my last screening Dr. said there was MORPHINE in my urine!! I can't even TAKE morphine because it makes me very confused. These meds I have been on for so long have helped me keep the little XXXXXXX I have. The dose is one pill every 6 hours. I am use to taking one every 4 hours and one at night if I need it. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be false positive

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

Positive test for Morphine could be false positive result, as it is common. Both Narco and tramadol can cause false positive for morphine in screening test as they are not very sensitive.

In case you are subjected to any consequences due to these results please talk to your doctor and ask for sensitive tests. The higher level of test (gas chromatography) are least subjected to error and you will get desired results.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 51 minutes later
I was under the impression this would take no longer that a few minutes. It has been hours. have I push a wrong button?

ok, that makes sense, however you didn't address the issue with running out a few days early due to them not wanting to prescribe as I took them for years before I saw them. I was taking- per day, now they want me to take per day. It's not working well, and I DON'T really want to go to a greater strength med because at my early age (54 ) when I am 75 or so , I am afraid NOTHING will work. I even went into the hospital about a year ago with and infected diverticuli. Was admitted for 7 days. The discharge doc asked if I wanted "pain pills" to take home and I didn't take the due to the fact that I am abiding by the things they asked me not to do. Dont' get the meds we give you from anyone else. If I am short my meds, and they have NOTHING on me suspicious looking, can they just boot me out??
Brief Answer:
This need discussion

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

If there is inappropriate use by patient the doctor can stop prescring the person and nobody is exception in this regard. If there is consistent failure to comply with your physicians instruction he can boot you out.

Since there is mismatch between supply and your need, I feel you need to discuss with your doctor that you need more dosage of medication than prescribed. He may consider upping the dose or changing the medication to more stronger one to satisfy your needs.

I hope this assists you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 57 minutes later
Do I have to pay more to have the rest of that issue addressed?

Thank you very much, Dr. XXXXXXX Your answers have been very informative. It is so unfortunate that we are becoming conditioned to be afraid to "discuss" things with our Dr.s. So many of us feel they if you are honest with them, they let you go because you may be "violating" a contract, and some feel that can't share all they desire to share with their Dr.s. Your info has been a big help. I will make plans to discuss these things with my Dr. and hope for the best. Being a very compliant patient except for the occasional extra doses, I feel like they think everyone is a criminal. It's just a very difficult issue that I hope will change soon. Thanks again for your input and I will surely recommend you and your fellow Doctors to my friends for good advice.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are always welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.

I am glad to know that information was useful for you and it put you on the ease.

Although everybody is different but most doctors first consider the suffering of the person. At the same time they are suspicious because some of us give misleading information to abuse the medications and even sometime divert the medicines for ulterior motives.

But if you are honest with your doctor they will be glad to help you on any extent (This is my personal assumption).

I hope this assists you.
Thanks and regards.