What causes a fall in the platelet count?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: XXXX

My blood platelets have dropped from 290k to93k in three years. I am 78 years old.

What can I do to reverse this problem to regain my platelets?

Am I in danger of bleeding now?

What symptoms go along with this problem?

Is there any medication I can take? I am seeing a hematologist so I am wondering how often
he should be monitoring my blood test?

If the platelets drop dangerously low, will I be getting blood transfusions?

Am I allowed to have alcohol?

I do exercise classes for an hour every day. Wednesday I go to Silver Sneakers for an hour
an I am doing pulmonary exercises. I lost a lung in l984 with histoplasmosis.

I also have a CPAP machine.

I also have sleep problems and wake up around 3:00 A.M. and drink a glass of white winde.
At bedtime I take Tramadol 50mg. sometimes and clonazepam 50mg.

Will I be safe to travel on a plane in January?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment depends on cause of low platelet.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
There are many causes of low platelet count. Simple viral infection, vitamin B12 deficiency, immune thrombocytopenic purpura, leukemia, myelodyplasia and many other causes can leads to low platelet count.

Interpretationi is based on other reading of complete blood count and your symptoms.

So please send me your complete blood count report and all other reports you have.

So that I can help you to find the exact cause.

Reversal and treatment depends on cause of low platelet. Your platelet are slightly low. So right now no risk of bleeding. And transfusion is not required.

If your count decrease below 15,000 then there is chance of bleeding and you need platelet transfusion.
Alcohol should be avoided till you find exact cause. Your travelling fitness also depends on cause and treatment.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer.
Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 1 hour later
Dr. Sanghvi,

My complete blood file will have to be sent by someone who can help me.

That may take a week.

I appreciate your help.

XXXX
Instead of getting help I will type in the information. I hope that this is what you
need. These would be abnormal only.

MCV 99.5 H Anion Gap 6L
Platelet 93L
Bun21H
Neutro Auto 75.3H
Bun/Creat Ratio 34H
Lymp Auto 12.3L
AST 14L
Lymp Absolute 0.86L
HDL78H
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may have vitamin B12 deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear

What I can get from your reports is high mcv. Most common cause of high mcv is vitamin B12 deficiency. So it can be one cause. But I need your complete reports so that I can help you to fing exact cause.

Your high neutrophil and low lymphocytes doesn't affect platelet count. But from that leukemia is ruled out. Likewise if you send me your reports then I can help you to find exact cause.

You should check vitamin B12 level. If it comes low then you should take a course of vitamin B12 supplements.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 5 days later
Why am I so tired. I do have sleep apnea.

I try to eat a balanced diet but is there a vitamin I could take to boost
my energy?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tiredness is due to anemia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
Your tiredness is due to low hemoglobin or vitamin deficiency. You should take multivitamin tablets. Take proper nutritional diet.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 4 hours later
Dr. Sanghvi,

Thank you for answering my question.

Would blood test show I am anemic?

What multi vitamin would you suggest?

Thanks.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes blood test will tell you that you are anemic or not.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
complete blood count report includes hemoglobin estimation. It will show you that you are anemic or not.

Your mcv is high it suggest some vitamin B12 deficiency or folic acid deficiency. You should take multivitamin tablets like B active or injection neurobione forte.