What causes a fall in the platelet count?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Cancer
Question: Hi my platelets are getting lower since April this year. In april it was 144 then in XXXXXXX 127, july 135 and now it is 110. All other numers are in normal range. Can I possibly have leukemia?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
rule out vitamin b12 or folate deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes, platelets are bit low. I would not go too much into the trend as this much variation can be there. Fortunately it is always above 100,000. If it were leukemia then it would have manifested by this time. 5 months is too much for untreated leukemia.

And the other numbers are normal. Have you checked out b12 and folate levels. Those may be corrected if deficient.

Hope this helps. I will be available for further follow up.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 minutes later
My B12 is fine, folate is also fine. My iron and Vitamin D were low but are ok now except Vitamin D is at 26 but is increasing due to supplements. The only thing I know I have is Hashimotos and microscopic colotis plus mild gastritis. But could it maybe be a starting point of Leukemia?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is very unlike leukemia

Detailed Answer:
Leukemia is a very acute condition and deteriorates rapidly. It is not a slow process so that there would be a starting point. Even if it is detected incidentally by a low platelet count of this range, within one month it will be full blown.

Hence I don't think this is leukemia as platelets are more or less stable over last 5 months
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 minutes later
I hope that you are right, thank you so so much. As soon as I get good results I will let you know happily that I have no cancer.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes you will be fine

Detailed Answer:
I am sure you will do well.
Keep in touch
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 27 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Today I was very weak and my back muscles hurt very bad. At one point I thought I was passing out. My arms feel very heavy and I feel dizzy. Could it be through the low platelets of 110 or maybe another autoimmune disease with my Hashimoto?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
not because of low platelets

Detailed Answer:
Low platelets do not cause these symptoms ever. And 110 platelets will never cause ANY symptom. So we need to look for some other cause. May be autoimmune, may be low electrolytes, low sugar, or something of that sort.

Please contact your endocrinologist and get yourself checked, to be on the safe side.