What causes a dry nipple with crust on it?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 7 Feb 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,
I have born my first child 4 month ago and ever since I had a small wound on my left nipple. After one month I stopped breastfeeding from that side. I pumped until one month ago. My left nipple is dry and there is a crust on it. Could it be Paget's?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis needs to be confirmed

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Dry nipple with crusting on it can be due to eczema, dermatitis or Paget's disease.
However,Paget's disease is unlikely in the absence of abnormal nipple discharge and breast lumps.
Moreover,Paget's disease is more common in elderly females.
I will suggest you to consult a oncologist to get yourself clinically examined in detail to rule out any breast lump and discharge. An ultrasound of the breast and biopsy from the nipple may be needed to confirm the diagnosis.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng