• question-icon

What causes a dime sized bruise on the elbow while driving?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a broken blood vessel in the inside crook of my elbow. It started as a stinging sensation then rapidly turned into a dime sized bruise. Now my arm is slightly bruised up the vein into my bicep and sore down to my wrist. The initial bruise is fading. This vessel broke 4 days ago. Treatment?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information and post clear photographs.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Since it is 4 days that the problem started and the bruise is also fading no active treatment may be needed.
But before saying so I would like to have an additional information so that I can assist you better:
Was the cause known that started this problem? Like trauma, removal of blood or insect bite?
Any treatment you have tried at home, may be icing or hot fomentation?
Please post clear and focused pictures as they help sometimes for on-the-spot diagnosis and help in management if needed.

Awaiting.
With Regards.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 7 minutes later
Thanks for your response.
There was no reason for the broken blood vessel. It happened as I was driving, felt like a sting but there was no insect and watched the bruise develop quickly as I drove.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
I can understand that no insect was seen but such a history is indicative of an insect bite as such a problem on its own is not known to occur,felt a sting and quick development of a bruise also support my views.
Well. Pictures would have helped me more.
You may take an antihistamine like Cetirizine or Benedryl as there is sore down to wrist and may help.
Oral steroids may help further but need a prescription of your Doctor if needed, if there is no good progress.
Please do not apply anything locally nor massage it.

I hope this answer helps you further.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon