• question-icon

What causes a deep pain in the posterior part of upper thigh?

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Back Pain
Question: My son who just turned 8 has been having very deep right, intermittent, posterior upper thigh pain radiating to his buttocks bone. He says he feels it in his bones. He fell ice skating around the time the pain started about 2 months ago with no bruising during time of fall but he did fall fairly hard. However, my son swears to me that that the pain started before he felI. I also may have noticed a slight change in the way he walks over the summer but it was was only one time when I noticed it and then he walked fine, so I just ignored it as normal boy stuff. My husband has never notice any difference in the way he walks. He is a Nurse Practitioner. I noticed lately he's been skipping (not sure if he is compensating someway with the skipping) a lot and but seems to run fine too. Something seems a but off where he may be favoring the left , good side a bit but he is being active such as walking or riding his bike. I, being his mother, am the only person noticing these mild changes. Pain is moderate in nature. Concerned because pain has been going on for 2 months. He actually asked me tonight to take him to the doctors. Please give me your insight as to the potential reasons for this pain. Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle pain or spasm likely.

Detailed Answer:
A deep pain in the posterior part of upper thigh at this point doesn't seem to be anything but a likely muscle pain. After an injury it sometimes heals slowly if proper rest is not provided.
Recurrent injury in the area can also cause a scar formation and a persistent pain. Since there is no problem in the overall gait or running, this does not seem to be a major issue. Oral muscle relaxants and hot compress will help in relieving the pain and spasm.

I am glad he is visiting a doctor today. I will like to know what the doctors feel about this issue. And if they planned to investigate further.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon