• question-icon

What causes a dark red blotch on the lower leg?

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I have a dark red blotch as big as an eraser head that just appeared on lower leg a couple of days ago. It isn't irritated, just a tiny bit raised. Looking to try to figure out what it is. I have skin health anxiety issues after getting a small AK lesion frozen l off on forehead. I'm finding every spot to be potentially l suspicious.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibilities for a dry, scaly, red patch

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
I have viewed the images. It is a single, red, dry, oval patch. Also seems a bit scaly.
Clinical possibilities for a red, scaly, oval patch such as this are either discoid dermatitis, tinea (fungal infection), herald patch of pityriasis rosea or Bowen's disease.
I wont consider Actinic Keratosis (AKs) as my first possibility. AKs are more common on sun exposed skin and are usually seen on a background of sun damaged skin. AKs are usually multiple rather than a single patch.
This is most likely a patch of discoid dermatitis. I would suggest you to try a topical steroid cream e.g mometasone furoate 0.1% cream, twice daily for 2 weeks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 55 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 20 hours later
Now it appears there are other spots developing near the same area. Like four or five. Is this normal and what is the cause of this?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pityriasis Rosea could be a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Ok.

Probably the initial lesion was a herald patch of pityriasis rosea and now there is a new crop of lesions developing. It is expected. I suspected pityriasis rosea as one of the differential diagnosis in my first reply. I request you to kindly upload fresh images with the new patches of lesions.
Treatment is the same for pityriasis rosea i.e a moderately potent topical steroid e.g either mometasone furoate 0.1% cream or betamethasone valerate 0.1% cream, twice daily.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist