question-icon

What causes a dark rash on tongue along with fever, chills and vomiting?

Posted on Thu, 21 May 2015
Question: Friend has a dark rash on the front of the tongue about the size of a quarter dead in the center and darker than the color of the rest of her tongue. She has all the symptoms of a flue which started yesterday with fever, chills, and vomitting. Although that all feels better today. It seems the tongue issue started today.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
From description possible blood hemorrage. Provide photo please.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your question to healthcaremagic.

I'm happy to hear that the flu like symptoms are getting better.
I will need some more information about the dark rash though. Is it painful? Has it ever happened before? Can you take a picture of it and post it here so I can have a look? Does your friend has other rashes in the body (check under the braw line, or where is friction)?

It looks like the begining of something, and she need to follow up with it.
We need to make sure it is not appearing in other parts or the body, or if she has others in her mouth. If she has, then she need to do a complete blood count, to make sure she doesn't have low platelets levels.

I would recommend to keep an eye on it, and if its not getting better, or if its getting worse, then consider a visit to your local doctor to do a thorough exam and to do the labs recommended above and others if necessary.

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more clarification.

Dr. Papaqako.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Klarida Papaqako