question-icon

What causes a dark blue coloring resemble bruising in the joints just below the base of fingernails?

Posted on Mon, 30 Jul 2018
Question: Why do the joints just below the base of my fingernails turn dark blue on occasion? This looks like bruising, but I have no injuries. I don't have arthritis. My hands aren't cold. And there is no pain associated with this event. It happens rarely--every 2-3 months--and then after a few days, the darkness clears up. ???
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (8 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Vasoconstriction

Detailed Answer:

This phenomenon is called vasoconstriction where in the arterioles n capillaries ( very small diameter blood vessels) that supply fingers are losing their diameter by constricting thus reducing blood supply to fingers. Now we need to understand the reason for such thing what factors like temperature, inherent genetics etc. smoking can cause this. Raynaud'son is known without any other symptoms.
You need to see a general surgeon or rheumatology specialist for evaluation.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam