What causes a constant urge to urinate?

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My wife had almost a constant urge to urinate. She got up 15 times last night. Sometimes she doesn't really go and sometimes she does. What is going on?
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investigations required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXX,

Thanks for posting the query to HealthcareMagic,
The frequent urge to urinate has many causes,

like Urinary infection,
Bladder incontinence
Diabetes
Increase fluid intake, etc.

Urinary incontinence (involuntary loss of urine) is a common symptom in Parkinson's disease (PD).
Incontinence aids: Although urinary incontinence can often be treated, there are times when incontinence aids are needed. Knowing which aids work best for you and where to get them can restore your freedom and confidence.

The treatment depends on the diagnosis like urine routine for urinary infection and blood glucose for diabetes. If urinary infection is ruled out then she has to confirm her urinary incontinence by examination by your physician and get treated accordingly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 41 minutes later
What is the most frequently used and best drug for nighttime urinary urgency, so that my wife can get some sleep and not have to get up every half hour with the urge to go at night?
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cause has to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
I apologize for the delayed reply.

The cause should be ruled out by investigations,

If it's urinary infection then antibiotics should be given.

If it's due to parkinson's then the below medicines are used.

Anticholinergics. These medications can calm an overactive bladder and may be helpful for urge incontinence. Examples include oxybutynin (Ditropan XL), tolterodine (Detrol), darifenacin (Enablex), fesoterodine (Toviaz), solifenacin (Vesicare) and trospium (Sanctura).
Mirabegron (Myrbetriq).

But these are available only on prescription.

Topical estrogen. Applying low-dose, topical estrogen in the form of a vaginal cream, ring or patch may help tone and rejuvenate tissues in the urethra and vaginal areas. This may reduce some of the symptoms of incontinence.

If estogen gel is available over the counter then you can use them.